Track Training – Middle/Long Distance
March 19 @ 6:45 pm - 8:00 pm
Runners meet at Ashdown Leisure Centre and book in at the track-side hub*.
Warm up around the track and then do your drills routine or join in with the main group for a communal warm-up and drills phase before the session is announced.
All sessions are made flexible to accommodate the needs of new runners and experienced marathoners/track athletes alike. The coaching team are always happy to discuss how they can support the needs of individual athletes.
Be aware that in some cases the sessions may have longer recoveries than advertised, to help keep the group together if needed**; however, experienced runners or those with specific targets will be invited to keep bespoke timings as their condition and ability develops (regardless of speed!).
- 8x 600m with 200m jog recovery
Athletes training for a marathon will do the ‘Yasso’s 800s‘ session.
- 10x 800m @ threshold effort with 400m jog recovery.
NOTES on the session.
With Yasso’s 800s, the implications of the average time taken for each rep may indicate potential marathon times.
- The session itself is the key here, not the specific results of any times taken to do each rep.
- The pace will not be targeted, it will be best effort each rep.
– – For an average of 3 mins 30 seconds across all 10 reps, there’s a correlation with a potential 3hrs 30 mins marathon time.
There’s a lot of work required to realise that potential; it is important to note that correlation does not indicate causation. Just because these times may indicate potential, it does not mean that cannot be exceeded, or that it will be realised in any event!
Middle Distance (Speed) Session
- 5 x 600m @ 1500m pace (200m slow Jog (2:30) recovery)
* A £2 track fee applies
** If you’re setting your GPS watch up for the session, it’s advisable to use ‘on button press’ for laps. Running around the track isn’t a ‘GPS watch’ friendly activity and will usually indicate you’ve run further than you have, skewing your pace and distance records.